The high-intensity light used in Cold Laser Therapy stimulates damaged cells to produce energy (ATP), which improves their function, assists their division, strengthens the body’s immune system, and causes the secretion of various beneficial proteins, hormones, and endorphins. As a result, the body’s tissues are healed, and pain is eased or eliminated. If damaged cells have died, the photons emitted by the cold laser help the division of neighboring cells to generate new healthy tissue, and thus bring about healing. Additionally, healthy cells treated with Cold Laser Therapy release healthy chemical substances into the blood and lymphatic systems that flow to other parts of the body. In this way, the effects of Cold Laser Therapy may not be only local, but can also achieve wide systemic benefits.
Some specific physiological benefits to Cold Laser Therapy include:
- Reduction in pain by causing production of natural pain killer endorphins
- Reduction in inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes that create swelling, redness, pain, and heat
- Enhanced lymphatic drainage, which increases circulation and speeds healing
- Release of tight muscles that create chronic pain, joint problems, and decreased mobility
- Faster bone repair by stimulating fibroblastic and osteoblastic proliferation
Cold Laser Therapy is pain-free, because low level lasers do not generate heat that can be perceived by the human nervous system. When the laser light contacts the skin, there is no warmth or any burning sensation. In fact, most patients either feel a slight tingling sensation, or nothing at all during the treatment.
Cold Laser Therapy has been used successfully to treat such conditions as:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Generalized muscular pain, including muscle strain
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Chondromalacia patellae (Knee pain)
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Headaches and migraines
- Plantar fasciitis (Foot pain)
- Tennis and golfer’s elbow
- Herniated disc pain
- Nerve pain
- Bell’s palsy
- Bone fractures
- Non-healing wounds
- Jaw and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain
For most patients, the results from Cold Laser Therapy are long-lasting. Some patients will experience immediate results, but most usually require 6 to 12 sessions before there is a lasting effect. Since each patient’s condition is different, Dr. Ridley will determine after reviewing your condition if laser treatments may benefit you.
So if you have pain or other physical discomfort while doing activities that you once enjoyed pain-free, you could be a candidate for Cold Laser Therapy at LiveWell Chiropractic and Wellness Center.